How to monetize apps
Whether your app is already up and running or you're just starting off, the topic of app monetization will eventually cross your mind. If you don't know how to go about generating income from your apps, this is the place for you to start.
LiveChat is an online customer service platform. Developers can extend LiveChat by building applications. Such apps may introduce new features or adjust the behavior of LiveChat products. The goal is to satisfy the specific business needs and use cases.
If you'd like to know what types of applications can be built upon the LiveChat Platform, check out the Building LiveChat apps doc.
The place to start creating your apps with different building blocks is our Developer Console. If your app is ready, you can continue with the monetization process.
Here's the core info about monetization at LiveChat:
- You can set up monetization in Developer Console with just a few easy steps.
- We take care of processing the payments. Then, we transfer your earnings to you via PayPal.
- The commission is 20%, so if you set the app price to be $10, you will earn $8 net.
- We offer two billing cycles: once a month and one-time payment. We recommend the recurring payment option.
- There're two types of payment to choose from: Charge per account and Charge per organization. We explain them here.
- You can leverage LiveChat Billing API to implement micropayments in your app.
The only action on your side is to define the billing model for your app and set up monetization. It's as simple as using the App Monetization Building Block. Payments will be collected automatically depending on the billing cycle you picked.
Our part is to help you successfully launch your app. We're ready to support the promotion of your product. We can, for example, present your service on a dedicated landing page, popularizing it among potential customers.
If you want to know the process inside out, follow the sample configuration we've prepared. We'll use an app named Statistics as our example.
Make sure you are signed in to your Developer Console. We begin in the Building Blocks tab. This is where we can find the App Monetization tile.
What you need to do next is set up the following information:
- the price of your application
- the billing cycle
- once a month
- one-time payment
- the type of payment
- Charge per account - the price of your app will be calculated based on the current number of accounts within a LiveChat customer’s license.
- Charge per organization - the app will be available for all active accounts within a LiveChat customer’s license.
- the trial period
Annual app subscriptions
Some customers will be interested in purchasing an annual subscription for your app. It's possible only for the apps with the monthly payment billing cycle. By default, customers who purchase an annual subscription get a 15% discount, which is applied to the app base price. Then, we calculate the commission (20%) and your net profit (80%). You will be paid for a year in advance.
Then, go to Listing details and fill in the required fields. This is the place for you to inform about the app and encourage potential users. Make sure to present your app's main functionality and key features.How to fill in app details
After that, it's time for you to install the app on your account and test it. You can install it in the Private installation tab.Things to remember when testing the app
When your application is ready, submit it for review. It will be an action point for us. We will review your application and get back to you as soon as possible. At this point you can also mention any important info, such as test credentials or the necessity to create a new account in your service.
If you need help along the way, you can always reach us at email@example.com.
You'll know that your app is ready for publishing when you see a note saying that the app is accepted. In case of rejection, we'll contact you via email to give you feedback and discuss what needs to be changed.
Publish the app and that's it! Your app will be available on our Marketplace in up to 4 hours.See all app statuses
You can check your current account balance in the My Revenue section. You'll find there your current account balance, income history, detailed recent income activity, as well as some statistics on your best performing apps. Also, this is the place to request a money withdrawal.
Clicking the request a withdrawal button will prompt to you to send us an email, so that we can take care of further billing operations. Here are some rules regarding the process:
- You can request a withdrawal only if there's at least $50 in your account.
- You can request a withdrawal not more often than once a month.
- We will handle the withdrawal request and get back to you in up to two weeks.
We're happy to provide our support in case you need it. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!